Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Write a family hymn of Thanksgiving


I love Thanksgiving hymns.  In fact, the next couple of days I will be posting several Thanksgiving hymns. 

But another idea I wanted to try this year is to write a family hymn of Thanksgiving.  We did this about 10 years ago with my mom when my oldest two were little.  We used the hymn When Morning Gilds the Skies, or as we called it, May Jesus Christ Be Praised.  It is very simple and easy to write your own family verses.  I think we will try that same hymn again, each of us writing a verse.  I wish I could find the copy of what we wrote years ago.  I know it's somewhere in some keepsake box.

Anyway, here's a copy of the first verse to give an idea of how to write a family verse:

When morning gilds the skies my heart awaking cries:
May Jesus Christ be praised!
Alike at work and prayer, to Jesus I repair:
May Jesus Christ be praised!

When you begin the day, O never fail to say,
May Jesus Christ be praised!
And at your work rejoice, to sing with heart and voice,

May Jesus Christ be praised!

Here's a try:

When Mommy says her prayers and gives to God her cares,
May Jesus Christ be praised!
When daddy tucks in bed and with his kids prayers said,
May Jesus Christ be praised!

When friends come to our home and we are not alone,
May Jesus Christ be praised.
Our table's full of food and all in a good mood,
May Jesus Christ be praised.

My mom likes to write her own verses to hymns on a somewhat regular basis, and she shares them with the family.  Maybe someday I will do that too to express my faith and love for God and what he shows me in this life.

1 comment:

  1. Oh what a great idea. How much fun would it be to re-write a hymn. Please consider adding this to the home school resource website, "look what we did." I am stopping by from Hip Homeschool Moms. -Savannah http://lookwhatwedid-homeschool.blogspot.com/?m=0

    ReplyDelete