Monday, April 15, 2013

Crocheting (or Knitting) to Give


My mom loves to crochet.  She crochets whenever she is sitting down.  She gets a lot of her yarn from thrift stores; my dad likes to pick it up for her.  She's made all my kids baby blankets, christening blankets, scarves, shawls, doll clothes, and more.  She has made many prayer shawls for many people.  I have one she made for me when we were adopting Lila.  She taught me to crochet when we were beginning the adoption process for Lila.  I found it to be very calming!  I made a blanket for Lila and then began making blankets for Mara and Kyle.  I made some blankets for my nieces and nephews and in-laws.  I have a new one in the works for Mara.  She wanted one with her new favorite colors.  That one is taking me a while since I don't have as much time to sit and crochet these days (Cody is too busy)!  I do plan to take up crocheting again as soon as I can.  It does calm me down.

When I do have more time, I hope to crochet as a way to give.  So I have been on the lookout for places to give.  Here are some that I've come across:

1.  Project Linus:  Providing homemade blankets to children in need in the U.S.

2.  Craft Hope:  Project Roma, blankets for orphanage in Romania

3.  Red Scarf Project with Foster Care to Success

4.  Knit for Kids - Knit or crochet a sweater for kids with World Vision

5.  My Stuff Bags - Blankets for foster care children

6.  Project Night Night - Blankets for homeless children

7.  Warm Up America - Many ways to knit and crochet for others

8.  Newborns in Need - Many items that can be made and donated

9.  Knots of Love - Caps for chemo patients

10.  Local pregnancy center, children's hospital, or homeless shelter. 

Your church may have a ministry as well, such as a prayer shawl or blanket ministry.



No comments:

Post a Comment