My word for the year is JOY sprinkled with GENTLENESS, and I decided to tie that to KINDNESS. We are practicing in our family so that it will be evident to all. Mostly, I am hoping to grow in speech and spirit and to help my kids do the same - maybe just by practicing our polite manners all the time - to start. Here are some verses as my encouragement:
Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
Philippians 4:5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.
Colossians 3: 12-14 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
1Peter3:3-4 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment ... Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.
Ephesians 4:2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
Proverbs 15:1 A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
And now for KINDNESS ... Came across this from Mom's Tool Box and thought it sounded like a good idea. New assignments/challenges every Sunday.
(Choose at least 3 of the following to do this week. I’ll post a new assignment list each Sunday.)
1. Put quarters in and then tape more coins on a vending machine with a note. (Thanks, Robyn, for this kind idea)
2. Race ahead and hold the door for someone… or linger and hold it for someone who is waaaay behind you.
3. Compliment 2 people you don’t know who look a bit down. (Don’t mention that they look down, just share some love.)
4. De-cluttering? Donate gently-used books to your local hospital, school, or library fund-raiser.
5. Take some treats or a fruit and veggie tray into the office, or send it to your spouse’s office, kid’s school or doctor’s office. (There must be someone you can surprise!)